Ella Emerson
Ella Emerson

Obituary of Ella Emerson

Ella was born November 20, 1929, in the original Plymouth Hotel on the North side of Main Street Plymouth, the boarding house operated by her parents John Antonio Moreno (Blanco) and Rose Gonzales Moreno, both Spanish immigrants. That hotel was destroyed in a fire in 1931, but her father had purchased the site of the Harvey Hotel and remodeled it into the current Plymouth Hotel on Main & Poplar. 


She graduated from Sutter Creek Union High School (now Amador) in 1948. Shortly after graduation she married Mel Emerson and they had four children: Kathy, Carol, Mel Jr and John. She had 8 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.  


She was preceded in death by her husband Mel, siblings John Moreno, Tony Moreno, Rosie Nicholas, son-in-law Allen Arthur, grandson Jeffrey Miles Holman III, Lena Esola (her friend since childhood; they were known for enjoying life, laughter, and escapades). Then she was blessed to have Marilyn Seratte as a dear friend who took her traveling on the back roads, enjoying meals, including corn dogs at the fair until she passed in 2022.  


She is survived by her cousins: John Yderraga, Bernice Cox and Tony Hoobler as well as numerous nieces and nephews.  Classmates and numerous friends including, but not limited to: Julia Ball, Jackie Dell ‘Orto, Faye Thompson, Phyllis Swenson and her many Soroptimists and Native Daughter’s of the Golden West “sisters”.  She was a lifetime member of Soroptimists International of Amador County and a 55-year member of NDGW, Forrest Parlor # 86. 


Mel and Ella were self-employed primarily in logging. They leased the shop at the old Central Eureka Mine. Due to hard work, Mel’s entrepreneurship, and Ella’s frugality, they purchased land in 1978 and built the Emerson Shop on Highway 88. Ella did whatever was necessary, from chasing parts, driving water truck to bookkeeping and secretary/treasurer of Emerson Logging and Emerson Associates.  Under their management/ownership, the sand plant became known as the Plymouth International Raceway. They hosted local motocross clubs, Evil Knievel’s Motocross in 1972 and the Annual Hangtown Motocross until it outgrew the city and moved to Prairie City OHV Park in 1979. 

No services were held at her request. In lieu of flowers, she requested donations be made to Soroptimist International of Amador, Scholarship Fund, PO Box 1105 Jackson, CA 95642.

To plant a beautiful memorial tree in memory of Ella Emerson, please visit our Tree Store
A Memorial Tree was planted for Ella
We are deeply sorry for your loss ~ the staff at Daneri Mortuary
Share Your Memory of